Monday, April 18, 2022

Instanssi/Revision 2022

This weekend, I took part in a Revision 2022 satellite party, hosted by the Instanssi organizers. I participated in the "Modern Graphics" competition with this work:
Samatha
This work is titled Samatha, meaning a mind abiding in calmness. I made it using Ultra Fractal, Gimp, Inkscape, and a photograph taken at Aurinko (=Sun) shop with my Ixus 170, like my previous Buddha images. Prints on RedBubble.
It is a basic reclining Buddha, bathed in golden light. The rays emanating from the head are arrayed according to "nautical lines", that is, they are 1/32th of a circle, or 11.25°, apart.
Regarding "calm abiding", here is an excerpt from Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.116:
"Monks, that dimension should be experienced where the eye [vision] stops and the perception [label] of form fades. That dimension should be experienced where the ear stops and the perception of sound fades... where the nose stops and the perception of aroma fades... where the tongue stops and the perception of flavor fades... where the body stops and the perception of tactile sensation fades... where the intellect stops and the perception of idea/phenomenon fades: That dimension should be experienced."

The picture did not make it into the compo. I am unsurprised. One of my earlier works elicited the comment "when you have no talent, you have to intentionally do shit". Well, I'll admit that I've previously done semi-intentionally bad prods as a self-deprecating gesture, but, even when I try, I am reminded of the saying "shit has its maker" - and, dear reader, it is I. 

I also took part in the Animated Gif competition with this work:

Scroll of Happiness
Unsurprisingly, it was disqualified as well. In fact, since the organizers of the party are german, and you can find a swastika in there, I think it might've even been illegal if they'd shown it publicly.
These days, overly strict rules and rigid adherence thereto are colloquially called "nazi". So, it's ironically funny that this ageless symbol is the subject of this kind of "nazi" regulation. As a buddhist, I will continue to try and take back the Swastika. After all, the "nazis" were a mere blip in the history of the Swastika, the NSDAP no longer exists, so I see no reason for the continued demonization of this ancient symbol. Furthermore, since the Swastika is a sacred, holy symbol in several world religions, banning it is religious persecution - inadvertently, perhaps.
So, in the spirit of reclaiming this symbol, here's another Swastika animation. This was done in Processing:


No comments:

Post a Comment